Everyone who is anyone in Trondheim’s technology scene gathered at the Clarion Hotel on Brattøya yesterday for the annual Trondheim Developer Conference. Keynotes from JSON-founder Douglas Crockford of Yahoo and PayPal fame and “creativity evangelist” Denise Jacobs surrounded a packed schedule of talks, ranging from building a cross-platform mobile backend in Azure to an introduction to Bluetooth Low Energy.
But it was also an opportunity for several of Trondheim’s startups to exhibit to the 600 attendees, alongside the likes of Microsoft, Evry and Bouvet.
Cloudure offers cloud hosting geared to the needs of the local Norwegian market and was described by one of the organisers as “one of the hottest companies in Trondheim right now”.
Founder Jørgen Aschim Forsell said, “TDC is for the Trønder-community a long-awaited lift. Networking wise it’s awesome.”
“As a startup, we were extremely grateful for the opportunity to present our service directly to the community that could end up using it. We got a lot of good feedback on our service, got to know a lot of new people and ended up with several solid leads.”
Found offers a fully hosted SaaS solution for the open-source elastic search technology.
First exhibiting as a startup two years ago, Found has grown its customer base quickly outside of Norway, counting the New York Public Library among their many customers. Their business model is one that many companies in the USA are finding success with, something I’ll probably explore more in a future post.
SuperEgo has a simple aim. “We want to help people”, says CEO Odd Joachim Aschim.
To do this, they develop apps such as “Stop self-injury” and “Stop bullying me”, designed to offer help to the user exactly when they need it. The app aimed at stopping self-harming allows the user to record and store supportive messages from themselves, their loved ones, or therapist.
FourC is barely a year old but the combined experience of its founders totals decades.
The company provides a future-proof, open infrastructure system platform for huge-scale M2M and IoT deployments. They offer a cloud product to manage your systems along with software to install on each distributed device.
Koosli is a search engine under development, with an emphasis on people and privacy. Coming soon…
There were plenty more companies on display of course, but these ones specifically caught my eye.
TDC founder Save Asmervik was thrilled with the turnout, which has consistently grown each year since the first event in 2012.
“It’s a real local event. The attendance is 90% from Trondheim, and most of the other 10% are external speakers”, he said.
“For next year we hope to get more students involved as there are over 2,000 studying Computer Science and related subjects here in Trondheim.”
Asmervik also told me he’s looking to increase the number of local startups exhibiting next year. Of course, it’s important to keep the quality level high (quality over quantity all day long) but with the number of emerging startups from NTNU’s School of Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer Office, this should be achievable.
Photo credits: Ina H. Stenvig, TDC